Monday, April 11, 2011

My New Love.

 I do not know why it took me this long.  I guess there are various reasons I can point too, but ultimately it probably leads to the fact that I never played the game, and on top of that I could not play the game if I wanted. I could not watch a Hockey game unless the Penguins were playing.  It could have been Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I could care less.  I would rather watch a good episode of Seinfeld. I do not know what struck me, or what great epiphany came over me. It finally clicked, this game is good.  This game is exciting, compelling, and downright fun to watch.  It had nothing to do with the resurgence of the Penguins, I was right there with the rest of you watching Jagr,Kovi, Straka and company. I thought it was good stuff. I always have and always will support Hockey in Pittsburgh, but by no means was I a Hockey fan.  I think it started for me when I started seeing the game past the casual fan’s perspective. I started seeing the passes, the cuts, the movements.  The game started to become more than just an event to root for Pittsburgh, it became like watching Basketball or Football games.  I could get into this.  The game has undeniable similarities and principles as other sports, its evident.  The five on five fast break from Basketball, can be seen on the ice, the offensive rebounding, and the sets. It is all right there, I was either oblivious or did not care to even look. Anymore a good hockey hit is every bit as good as a solid Football hit. 
      Hockey is a great game, and we are about to start on a great two months of playoff Hockey.  The games will be tense, and highly contested. Action for sixty minutes nonstop, every possession matters, and every game is big.  Now I am not going to tell you I watch games every night, nor am I playing fantasy hockey.  I am saying I was interested, I was playing attention further than the Penguins, and I have been for about two or three years now.  I respect the game, and am evolving past just labeling myself, the casual fan.  I am a Hockey fan now.

With that said, Cannucks over the Bruins in 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment